So here's the story:
We started trying to get pregnant again July 2011. Brynlee was 7 months old and I was not ready for another baby, but knew that it could take a while to get pregnant again. Nothing... May 2012 I had laparoscopic surgery to try and clean out the endometriosis. That's what we figured was wrong because we did the surgery before and got pregnant right away. Still nothing... We went without health insurance from June to October 2012. When I got insurance back, I made an appointment with a fertility doc in the area. John had a test done that came back normal. We tried fertility medications for 3 months- November & December 2012 and January 2013. The pills themselves weren't a problem, but it was such a pain to have everything for the month so planned out. You have to take the pills at an exact time for so many days, then do this, and that... I hated it. Plus it obviously didn't work. February I started thinking about In-Vitro. After some research, I found an office up north that looked promising. I spent a lot of time filling out paperwork and sending them hundreds of pages of my medical records. What a pain... I spend $225 for a phone consult with the doctor. He felt my chances were pretty good (70% or so) for it working the first time. The cost: about $12000, not including time off from work, travel, etc. The IVF doc recommended I get a dye test, so had that procedure done in February 2013. The results: my tubes were completely open. Not what I was told before and not what I was expecting to hear. That's good news, but then you start to wonder why it's not happening if they can't find anything wrong with either of us.
We decided to try artificial insemination a couple times before moving on the IVF. The cost of artificial insemination is hundreds compared to the thousands for IVF, so it made sense. Had the first insemination done in March 2013 and the second in April. Obviously neither worked. The day my period started in May was also the day Brynlee got way sick. We were devastated it didn't work, but now realize that it was for the best. If I had been pregnant I would not have been able to be with Brynlee during her x-rays and exams.
Summer of 2013: decided to give up on having our own baby. I had thought about adoption before, but it just did not feel right at all. I figured this time since it can take years to have a baby placed through LDS family services, we might as well get started on the process now. I made an appointment for the night of August 8th. While we were at the adoption orientation, the lady was explaining all the work involved ( I had no idea there was so much stuff to do). I again got the feeling that this was not right and I almost started crying right then. I was pretty quiet the rest of the orientation. It's also very expensive. Based on our income and other things, it would have cost us about $9000. By this time, we had spent our savings on Brynlee's medical bills so even though that was cheaper than IVF, it was still too much for us.
On the way home, John thought it had been awhile since my last cycle and we should pick up some pregnancy tests. I basically gave up thinking about all of it in June, so I had no idea when my last cycle was.
Friday, August 9th. I get up to take the pregnancy test. I put it on the bathroom counter and go about getting ready for the day. I actually wasn't even going to look at it because it's always negative. Believe me, in 2 years of trying there were many times I thought it would be positive, but never was. John was looking at it and it took about 5 seconds to show positive. Neither of us could believe it, so did the second test. Same thing- positive in about 5 seconds. I called the doctors office (it was only 7:45 AM) and surprisingly they answered. I asked if I could get a blood test because I was quite skeptical. They said yes. We had planned on going to the temple that morning, so already had a babysitter. But instead of going to the temple, we went to get blood drawn and went to the pharmacy to fill a prescription for progesterone (necessary to stay pregant).
We got results that afternoon that it was positive. We told our immediate family that weekend. Of course everyone was excited and shocked!
I had the hardest time thinking this was real and not a dream. I was so scared of miscarrying again.
We had an ultrasound a short time later to determine the dates. Found out I was only 5 weeks along, which puts the due date at April 12, 2014. The next ultrasound we saw the heart beating and that was awesome.
We are so excited for the opportunity to have another baby! We feel so blessed and know that the Lord truly does know us better than we know ourselves. I sure had a lot of doubts and feeling like I was forgotten over those 2 years, but now we realize that it would not have been good for us to have a baby any time other than now. We just continue to hope that everything continues to go well.
No comments:
Post a Comment